The UNESCO Hackathon Vietnam is now open for registration. There is no restriction of age or backgrounds of participants. Developers, designers, students, bloggers and all open source contributors are invited to join! All participants will receive free catering and swags during the hacking days, winning teams receive awesome prizes from UNESCO and the organizers.
Within the framework of the project ‘Strengthening media capacity to monitor and report on climate change in Asia Pacific’ funded by the Government of Malaysia, UNESCO and FOSSASIA are organizing a hackathon to provide journalists with innovative apps to monitor and report on climate change and sustainable development issues in the region.
The UNESCO Hackathon Vietnam will be held in Ho Chi Minh City on 13 and 14 October 2018 under the theme of “Getting the Message Across: Climate Change and Sustainable Development.
Time and Location
- Time: Saturday October 13 - Sunday October 14, 2018
- Location: Officience Vietnam, 16A Le Hong Phong, Ward 12, District 10, HCMC, Viet Nam
Why should I participate?
- Learn how to create a chatbot within an hour with SUSI.AI
- Carry out experiment with electronic devices PSlab.io
- Update yourselves with knowledge of technology and sustainable development in Vietnam
- Meet special guest speakers from the UNESCO, Embassy of Sweden and many more.
- Improve your language skills, presentation skills and build up your leadership abilities
- Have a chance to receive certificates from UNESCO, T-shirts, swags, and special prizes from the sponsors
How do I know if I am qualified to join?
- The hackathon is open for everyone, especially for those:
- Curious and willing to learn new things
- Interested in technology and sustainable development
- Like to make new friends and expand their networks
- Able to communicate in English
- No prior coding skill is required
How do I sign up?
1. Get your ticket to the Event by selecting participant ticket below & proceed.
2. Sign up on Devpost as you will need to submit your final hack there.
3. Join the Gitter channel at https://gitter.im/fossasia/hackathon (requires login with Github).
4. Find team members and create your team preferably at least 2 members and maximum 4 contributors. You are also welcome to sign up and then wait until the Presentation of Ideas on Saturday before deciding to join a team, however we’d encourage you to form/join a team in advance if you already have an idea that you’d like to work on.
5. Join the event at the Officience Vietnam on Saturday, Oct 13 at the opening at 8.45am until 9.00pm and on Sunday, Oct 14 from 8.00am until 5.00pm.
Visit the website at unesco.sciencehack.asia and stay connected, join the event on Facebook and follow FOSSASIA on Twitter.
Full program & detailed schedule: https://unesco.sciencehack.asia
Project submission link(to be used during the Hackathon only) https://unesco-hackathon.devpost.com
This activity is implemented under the UNESCO YouthMobile initiative to build the coding skills of young generations and leverage computer science education for sustainable developmenthttps://en.unesco.org/youthmobile
Organized by FOSSASIA
FOSSASIA is an open-source organization registered in Singapore with two offices: one in Vietnam and one in Germany. FOSSASIA develops software applications for social change using a wide-range of technologies. Projects range from Free and Open Source software, to design, graphics and hardware.
FOSSASIA runs a network of 25,000 members across the globe, offers technical consultancy services on open source solutions and organizes education program and tech events around the world.